Our resident suites are designed with you in mind. Although it must meet your clinical needs, each room has a home-like feel. Wide doorways throughout the first floor allow residents to move through the building and into the courtyard in their beds, if desired.
Each suite contains:
- Private washroom – with personal storage (family members are welcome to use this washroom).
- High-definition SMART television – with a wide variety of programming.
- Fireplace – with remote control.
- Sleeping area – the custom sofa and recliner chair can also serve as sleeping spaces for loved ones.
- Custom cabinetry – with built-in fridge, wardrobe and personal storage.
- Customized lighting – lights are located at the head of the bed so residents can independently control their preferred level of light.
- In-suite climate control – allows those in the room to choose their preferred temperature.
- State-of-the-art medical beds – with custom adjustable air mattresses residents can set for their own comfort.
- Concealed overhead lift system – keeps the room looking home-like but is available for staff to safely transfer residents in and out of bed as needed.
- Call bell system – a light-weight call bell resembling a wrist watch or pendant necklace. Pressing the rubber button on the wrist band or pendant will alert the staff that assistance is required. This system is wireless allowing the resident to move freely throughout the building. A wireless nurse call system provides the security of knowing help is close by.
- Telephone – Long-distance calls within Canada are permitted anytime. Long distance calls outside Canada may be made with the assistance of a Hospice staff member.
Residents and families are welcome to bring in personal items such as pictures and mementos.
Please do not put nails in the walls to hang items or bring in furniture as this may inhibit our ability to provide care.
Kitchen and Meals
Our Kitchen Coordinator and volunteers prepare all the meals for our residents, taking in to consideration dietary restrictions and preference when possible. Family members are welcome to bring in special meals that cannot be prepared at Hospice and store them in the refrigerator in the resident’s room. Meals brought from home may be warmed in the microwave in the refreshment areas. We greatly appreciate your wish to share meals and treats with other residents and families; however, due to public health restrictions all food must either be prepared in our kitchen or store bought and in the original packaging.
Kitchen volunteers are made aware of the dietary restrictions for each resident when they arrive and as their condition changes. Always check with the clinical team before providing food for your loved one.
Full meals are not provided for family members. We supply soup, baked goods, treats, coffee and tea daily in the Great Room and Refreshment Areas for family members at no cost.
Celebrating Special Occasions
Families are encouraged to celebrate special occasions and have family gatherings at Hospice. We have hosted birthday parties, wedding receptions, anniversary parties, and movie nights for residents and their families. Private meeting spaces can be booked on the second floor of Hospice for these celebrations. The clinical team would be happy to help make these arrangements.
Chatham-Kent Hospice operates 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. The reception desk is staffed by a volunteer daily from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm to welcome family members and visitors. After hours, the clinical team will assist with access.
Chatham-Kent Hospice welcomes families and caregivers to stay 24 hours a day – each suite can accommodate family members wishing to stay overnight on the convertible sofa or in the second floor family room. There is also a family washroom on the second floor which provides overnight guests a place to freshen up.
Please notify the nurse if you are planning to stay all night and they will provide you with linens.
Children under 18 need to have an adult (other than resident) stay with them.
For privacy reasons, we cannot confirm if someone is a resident or comment on how they are doing.